Johannes Viljoen was born on 4 November 1960 in Witbank, Eastern Transvaal (eMalahleni, eMpumalanga) and grew up in the mining community.
He matriculated at Carolina High School in 1978, Carolina, eMpumalanga and jump started his studies with a BA-degree: Theology (1981) after which he pursued his undergraduate training in Dentistry: BChD-degree (1987) at the University of Pretoria.
He later also did a Diploma in Odontology: Dip. Odont. (1993).
After graduating and completing two years of Military service in the SADF Medical Corps at 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria, 7 years were spent in a general dental practice in Krugersdorp on the Witwatersrand.
He started private practice as a Maxillofacial and Oral Surgeon in July 2003 in Krugersdorp and moved to George in February 2005. He is a member of the South African Society of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgeons (SASMFOS), International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (IAOMS) and AO foundation for Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons (AOCMF).
He is married to Janine, and they have three children. For recreation he enjoys spending time with his family in nature, target practice and reading.
ABOUT OUR PRACTICE
Dr. Viljoen mainly consults at his practice situated at 137 Mitchell Street, George but he also has satellite practices at Mossel Bay and Oudtshoorn.
It is very important that Dr. Viljoen first consults with a patient before performing any sort of procedure on the patient. During the consultation Dr. Viljoen will take a panoramic x-ray / 3D CT-Scan (should it be required), clinically examine the patient and formulate a diagnosis. He will then discuss the various treatment options and explain all the possible risks and complications of each option. During this time, you are welcome to raise any questions or concerns that you may have regarding your condition.
Arrangements will then be made for any necessary surgical procedure to be carried out under local anaesthesia, general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia with intra-venous conscious sedation, at the day clinic. Occasionally, surgery can be performed the same day as the consultation. Our premises are wheelchair friendly.
There are 4 hospitals where general anaesthetic procedures could be carried out:
- Geneva Medi Clinic in George
- George Surgical Centre in George
- Kango Clinic in Oudtshoorn
- Vidamed Day Clinic in Mossel Bay
IMPORTANT TO KNOW
- Both local anaesthesia and local anaesthesia with conscious sedation procedures are carried out at the George main practice. This is a very pleasant “non-hospital” environment for performing minor procedures and a recovery room after a conscious sedation procedure.
- Please have nothing to eat or drink for 9 hours prior to surgery under general anaesthetic. You will also need someone to drive you home.
- Written fee estimates, admission information and pre- and post-operative guidance will be provided for you at the consultation visit. We will also assist with your medical authorisation request by e-mailing the necessary documents to the applicable medical aid.
- The practice is equipped with state-of-the-art 3D CT Technology, surgical equipment and instrumentation. Three-dimensional radiographic anatomical displays (3D CT scans) and panoramic x-rays, allow Dr. Viljoen to view accurate and detailed three dimensional pictures of the patients’ face, mouth anatomy and pathology. These images are crucial to the surgical planning stage.
- If your dentist or physician has taken x-rays, you may request that they forward them to our office or bring them to your first consultation. If additional x-rays are necessary, they can be taken at our facility.
- Our reception and surgical team will attempt to provide the best service to make your experience as one of our patients as pleasant and comfortable as possible.
- IMPORTANT: All patients under the age of 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the consultation visit.
“My team and I are dedicated to providing exceptionally high quality service in a warm and friendly environment. We strive to provide surgical care using the latest technological advances and surgical techniques. Together we commit to demonstrate behaviour that reflect our core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, dignity and professionalism in honour of our Heavenly Father”
Dr. Johannes Viljoen
To exceed our patients’ expectations through achieving the highest standards of performance in surgery and patient care; committed to work as a team to deliver maxillofacial and oral surgery to the Southern Cape area.
OUR CORE VALUES
- We genuinely care about our patient’s needs and are committed to build relationships with our patients based on mutual trust, respect, and understanding.
- We are committed to the highest standards of ethics, integrity and professional conduct.
- We believe in delivering the highest quality of patient care. Therefore, we will continually educate ourselves and our patients.
- We are committed to open and honest communication with each other and with our patients.